Saturday, February 12, 2011

Seat for 1950 Panhead

I was commissioned to recover an old Bates seat for a 1950 Harley Davidson panhead chopper that's being built in Denver Co.
I spoke with my client and suggested we keep the seat classic black and simple, very near to the style that the Bates originally was.

First Off I cut the foam to fit the pan (which had been chromed before it was sent to me). I used a combination of a thicker, softer closed cell foam (the white) and the thinner very dense closed cell foam (black).
After I had the foam roughed out I cut the leather for the top and bottom of the seat and wet molded it to the form of the foam and seat pad.
Next I glued the two halves together prior to stitching the seat up.
The stitch pattern I used was a double whip stitch. The black kangaroo hide lace will age nicely with the oil dyed saddle leather of the seat.
There it is, ready for many miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment