Tuesday, November 22, 2011

metal work

 I don't know if you've ever been to Portland between the months of September and July but it kind of rains a lot here. And it rains for a long time too (as in about 6 or 7 months of rain plus 2 or 3 or 4 more months of un reliable weather). To combat cabin fever and to help myself not have a wet ass all the time I made some fenders.  I should say I made some fenders again. The last set of these got stolen, along with my bike in the early spring.  I'm still waiting to see my old bike go by so I can bulldog some one in the bike lane...Anyway, I had some copper left from the last time I made these.
Pretty simple to make.  I just had to draw a center line and wail on them for about 6  hours until they were roundish.  The first set took way longer.  The rear that I made last only actually took me about 2 hours start to finish. I'm starting to get the hang of stretching the material where I need to to get the curvature I need.
I just beat on the copper on a panel bag I made with some suede hide and some playground sand. They have a slightly dimpled look as I didn't feel like spending 12 more hours picking out all of the high and low spots to make them perfect.  I like the look, plus I'm hoping the indentations will help capture water and make them patina faster.
 And like always, no process photos, I'm always too busy making things to stop for documentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment