Sunday, March 13, 2011

New collar

Here is a collar i just built.  All latigo and brass.I don't like the size of the D ring and the buckle, but that is what the guy ordered so...I'm pretty happy with how it came out otherwise.  I got to learn by doing (just like every time I do anything) and I got to work in a medium that I really enjoy.  I suggested latigo to the owner since it's a very resilient leather and it patinas quite well.  I also like how brass hardware and rivets and hand stitching just look right when all combined on latigo.

Here is a detail of the stitching on one of the strap keeper loops.  This stitch will never see the light of day again since it will be rotated and sandwiched between the body of the collar and the strap it will be keeping in place.  I just really enjoy the detail that goes into working items like this and I thought you might too.

Here is the ring for the leash, as you can see I've riveted it to the collar rather than just sewing it.  This way if the dog see's a particularly delicious squirrel on a walk he'll have little chance of tearing loose.

Top and under-side of the buckle.  As you can see the buckle is a little over sized for the width of the strap, but not horribly so.  I used rivets to fix the buckle strap to the collar.  I ran strap to the underside at the front to allow for more room when collaring the dog.  This lets the strap slip in without getting hung up on itself on the way through the buckle.  In hindsight I could have used a snap on the the front rather than the rivet to hold it down.  This would make swapping buckle out faster, but I doubt the owner will be doing any of that and I didn't want to run the risk of a snap popping loose if the dog were lunging on the leash.

No comments:

Post a Comment